Monday, September 21, 2015

Emazing presentations

At our most recent School of Education retreat at the beginning of this academic year, my dean (Dr. Michael Uden) introduced us all to a presentation tool by the name of Emaze.  In some ways, it reminded me of Prezi.  However, it had a little more staying power in terms of visual appeal (for me at least).  I decided to take action on Dr. Uden's inspiration to transform one of my old Prezi's for my Number Sense course and turn it into an Emaze experience.

The reality with any presentation tool is that it can easily just be a fancy-dancy PowerPoint presentation.  This ought not to be the goal.  Active student engagement needs to be at the center of any presentation.  I will be using the Emaze presentation found below in my class tomorrow.  I plan to take significant amounts of time to pause and have the students engage each other at their tables in discussion centered around deductive reasoning and problem solving.

At the very least, Emaze is another tool for implementing the potential for an engaging learning environment.  We shall see what tomorrow holds!


Click to see Dr. Paape Math 119 Section 2.3 Emaze Presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment