Thursday, September 3, 2015

Group Dynamics 101





Today marks day four of a new school year.  It has been a blast to put into use all of the new ideas I've been considering throughout the summer.  One of the new implementations that has reaped immediate benefits is the use of the document below.

On the first day of my class, I had each student fill out this form.  Not only did this give me a feel for the math dispositions of my students, but I was able to use this data to form some intentional heterogeneous groupings to best promote student discourse.  I have always been a proponent for heterogeneous groupings, but never before I have been able to make these grouping choices based on student-identified markers.  I have been very pleased thus far by the kind of work my groups have been doing. In addition to my intentional grouping strategy, I have had the students create a list of what they do and don't like about group work.  
I really like the lists that my students created.  I handed out this completed copy of group work norms to the students.  We have all agreed that this is the standard to which we will hold ourselves in our group work.  In my next post, I will blog on an activity that reaped the reward of my data-driven groupings and class-originated norms for group work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment